Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thermal power on variable speed driven gearboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvd

Mechanical
Nov 12, 2001
US
It seems like the subject of calculating thermal(horse)power on gearboxes which are driven by variable speed motors is ignored by the gearbox manufacturers. Is there anyone involved in gearbox design who has dealt with this topic? On the one hand, it seems like the power which is dissipated as heat would be a maximum at full speed. However, when a gearbox runs at full speed it may not be running at high torque. Thus the generation of lost power may not be a maximum when speed is a maximum. Please comment if you have dealt with this issue.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

dvd,

My understanding about harmonic drive is that it is most efficient at maximum torque. This is because the friction torque is approximately constant. I would expect the heat put out by it to be constant, at constant speed, as well.

I would guess that a worm drive would behave the way you describe, above.

At least for smaller drive, manufacturers usually talk about efficiency. You can always call them and ask if they will map efficiency against their speed and torque.

Critter.gif
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back