Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

thermal range in C2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilovechickens

Mechanical
Aug 23, 2004
NZ
I am looking at a couple of stress models with 5 temperature cases that I have to review (I normally use a different program)

Model 1 The user considers the thermal range by setting up the load case editor to calculate T1, T2, T3, T4, T5 and then considers the thermal range by also checking the following load cases: T5-T4, T5-T3, T5-T2, etc.

Model 2 as set up the load cases editor to Calculate T1, T2, T3, T4, T5 and then in the load case editor used the MAX option to get the maximum of T1, T2, T3, T4 T5.

I believe model 1 is set up correctly. Can someone confirm for me if model 2 achieves the same things with respect checking the thermal range for code compliance?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What do you mean Model 2 is set up to "calculate T1, T2, etc". That's not how the load case editor works. Do you mean the load case is something like "#3 = T1 (OPE)" with no other loads present?

If so, that is not acceptable for B31.3 but if you're using a different a code (useful information...) it may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back