Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thermal study for centrifugal compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustafa2014

Mechanical
May 30, 2013
LY
Dear All,

Could any one explain to me "what is the thermal study for centrifugal compressor? And who should do this study Vendor Or the end user? what is the function of this study?

Thank you very much for your support in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Guess this is about temperature distribution in the compressor casing, during normal operation and transients such as cool down kinetics. That means looking at the thermal expansion and stress induced by the thermal gradients, and could be used for assessing:
- stress on nozzles and connections,
- maximum discharge temperature vs. casing max allowable temperature,
I guess it can also cover
- casing cool down time, for example during stand still and verification of condensation issues;

In some application cases the casing may need to be insulated because the gas is not enough superheated and can condense at the casing wall location, especially in cold climate; so jacketting around casing could be used together with heat tracing. In this case a thermal study is also relevant for sizing and determining the insulation.

Finally, remember that the amount of heat losses through the casing will affect the performance (efficiency) of the machine. A completely thermally insulated casing will have impact on performance specifically efficiency will deviate from the polytropic case and get closer to the adiabatic one.

The study should be normally done by vendor. But I also have seen case where Vendor prefered not to take responsibility of it.

"If you want to acquire a knowledge or skill, read a book and practice the skill".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back