Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thermocouple Welding/Soldering Type T

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCSIC

Nuclear
Jul 3, 2003
US
I am looking for an information source about welding and soldering Type T thermocouple (T/C) extension leads to another extension lead and also to the thermocouple wire.

Specifically information regarding the technique, sources of error, and the pro/cons of welding vs soldering.

Why is there a special procedure/technique for welding Type T and what is the special process?

Does anyone have experience with either technique?

BACKGROUND
We have 68 Type T T/C channels located outside in New England. We currently have Omega MTC-12 connectors mounted on masts with the male connector on an umbilical to the T/Cs. The female bulkhead connector is mounted on a 4x4 enclosure. The female bulkhead mount (admittedly) does not have the specified environmental backshell. As expected we are experiencing erroneous readings and open T/Cs. The connections should not have to be undone for 20-30 years. I would like to propose removing the connectors and welding or soldering the T/C cable wires at the connection at the 4x4. Also, I would like to weld or solder the extension cables to the industrial T/C leads at the T/C peckerhead.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

TCSIC,

It is preferred that posters do not post the same question in multiple fora.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

You don't need to sold the wires. What you need is to change the terminals from the termopar to the control panel, clean it and check for the wiring, if you have conduit pipes check if the wiring is in good condition and the insulation too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back