Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thermodynamics differentiation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoseChm05E

Chemical
Jul 21, 2006
US
If we have a correction term to be added to the excess Gibbs energy of mixing for UNIQUAC as follows, how do we get to the correction of the activity coefficient?

GE,HB/RT = sum(xi[-2ln(1+ ai*F)+(aiF/(1+aiF)) - Ci,pure])

where F = sum(xj*aj/(1+aj*F))

Yes, F looks like it is circularly defined...You have to implicitly differentiate it, i.e. use the chain rule. First you have to rearrange everything in terms of y:

GE,HB/RT = (1/n)*sum(ni[-2ln(1+ ai*F)+(aiF/(1+aiF)) - Ci,pure])

F = (1/n)*sum(nj*aj/(1+aj*F)) = (n1*a1/(1+a1*F)+n2*a2/(1+a2*F))

We know that the derivative of a sum = the sum of the derivatives, and we seem to have a form similar to the Wilson equation's derivation in my text. If we multiply everything by n and take the partial derivatives,

G_E,HB/RT = n1a1/(1+a1F)-2ln(1+a1F)-C1pure+n2a2/(1+a2F)-2ln(1+a2F)-C2pure)

When we derive this, Ci goes away as a constant; a's are constants too, but go with F's and n's so stay in place.

We have two "sections" to derive: sum(ni(aiF/(1+aiF)) and -2ni*ln(1+ai*F). Let's call these quantities D and E.

(dD/dni) with constant T, P, ni =/= j = aiF/(1+aiF) etc...

At this point I've tried messing with derivates some more, but am not sure about how to eliminate F (assuming I have to.) What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back