thermoforming of a PVC pipe socket

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulloap

Mechanical
Jul 5, 2007
CR
Good Morning Dear team.

Right now I’m experiencing troubles with an FEA Abaqus analysis about the thermoforming of a PVC pipe socket. Let me try to explain you in detail:

The Rieber socket forming system enables thermoforming of sockets with integrated gaskets. Rieber elastomeric gaskets are reinforced with a metal or plastic annular insert.

The PVC pipe section where the socket will be thermoforded is heated below its glass transition temperature, -where the solid pipe becomes viscoeslastic- After that the pipe is push against a mandrel (round metal part with a specific shape), so the pipe in its rubbery-like state mold its own shape, as the pipe comes deeper in to the mandrel the rieber gasket (Rubber or TPV part with an another PP section) is approach, so the pvc needs to be able to “climb this geometry too”. Then at almost the final forming stage vacuum is applied to the pipe in order to mold the right shape against the mandrel and the gasket, finally water or air is applied to cool down the pipe and remove the viscoeslastic phase.

I already had been setup the file, but when my tube is approach the rubber gasket, the right pipe end is pushing a lot the seal, instead of try to climb it. If I already defined properly the materials and the interaction properties, I don’t know exactly what is happen now? I’m using Abaqus 6.6, I’ll post the input file, if somebody can help me I really appreciate, cause this will be my MSC project.

Regards,

LPUS

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have looked at your problem. Please see attached picture. Basically your PVC needs a more refined mesh on the leading edge. You may be able to solve by reversing the contact pair however that location should be very important to the analysis and should get it's share of elements. I hope this helps.
getfile.aspx

Rob Stupplebeen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back