Thickess selection for welder while welding a nozzle with R.F pad

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRAVEEN1709

Mechanical
Nov 30, 2021
SA
Hi Gents,
I have a 18" nozzle to be welded in a pressure vessel. Nozzle contains Reinforcement pad. While assigning a welder whether i need to consider both shell thickness and R.F pad thickness together as a same joint or i need to consider it as a separate joint. Is there any code reference available?
Note: For nozzle groove design is inside bevel which means welding will be done from inside of the vessel, after completing welding from inside R.F pad will be welded from outside.
Capture_lzj28q.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Separate welds. Shell to nozzle weld should be ground/gouged and filled for complete pen. Then this will be backing for the pad groove weld.
Governing thickness and MDMT of each weld must be determined per UCS-66(a)(1)(4)

It depends on Welder Qualification with keeping all essential variables which applies in your case.

I reckon , you have welder with multi qualifications (GTAW+SMAW) for Pipe in 6G Position such a way SMAW deposits greater than 13mm with as least 3 layers which results him to qualify Maximum to be weld. (Selection of Pipe greater than 73mm with higher schedule to meet SMAW deposits atleast 13mm).

SO in your case: For Nozzle to Shell you welder weld with WPS (GTAW+SMAW) where GTAW without backing but SMAW with weld metal backing and meeting all essential variables of GTAW & SMAW as per QW-353.

and same welder can be utilize to weld with RF Pad to Nozzle with SMAW process with Weld Metal Backing.

I hope it clear if found any difficulty , ask question.

Fahad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back