Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thickness change from annealed to full hard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antknee

Mechanical
Oct 6, 2010
US
Hi,

If I were to buy some annealed stainless steel and then cold roll it harder how would the thickness change?

What I want to end up with is 0.2mm stainless that is 2000N/mm2 hardness. So would I buy for example 0.4mm annealed?

Thanks,

Ant.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can find cold work curves for most materials in data sheets.
Often you are looking at 40-60% reduction in thickness to reach maximum hardness.

You do know that some of the PH grades can be made in the CH condition, where they are cold worked and then aged without annealing. You get some added strength from the cold worked condition. Look at 17-7PH.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

I'll look for a datasheet, roughly speaking then I could buy 0.4mm 17-4PH annealed with hardness of 1000N/mm2 and any regular cold working to 0.2mm will get the hardness to approximately 1800N/mm2 (give or take a lot). It looks like a useful rule of thumb and sounds about right. I didn't know about 17-7PH, I'll take a look.

I wish I'd seen Ulbrich's online shop a couple of months ago. Seeing that was a revelation and a pleasant change from the prices I've had recently. I will call them, there isn't any PH stainless in the online shop but the prices give me confidence a special order wouldn't be too expensive.

Thanks.

Ant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back