Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thin wall command error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mick72

Mechanical
Jan 23, 2009
US
Hello everyone

I have a problem with the thin wall command and I am hoping some one could shed some light on this issue. I am currently modeling a frame that will be build out of 4X4 square tubing, the tubing will butt up against each other creating a frame box that will be held by welding. Here is my problem I start out by creating a sweep protrusion then I thin wall the part then I create another profile the same way as the first one and then butt it up against the other piece of tubing the sweep works, but when I try the thin wall I get an error message: "Thin wall failed. Adjacent faces do not intersect when offset." Thank you all in advance for any help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

I think you have to have one piece (butt them together first)
and then use thin wall.
But can't you use the Frame command for this? Check SE's
help on this topic

dy

It sounds like your problem is you are trying to thin-wall the whole model again - which will not work because some of the walls are already the required thickness.
You could try the Thin Region option.

Or use the FRAMES command - that's what it's for.
Unless you need details of individual components, in which case do as Don suggests - seperate part files then assemble.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

I believe the Frame command (which is the way to go, of course) is only available on the Foundation and Classic versions. If Mick72 has the Design & Drafting version, he's out of luck.

@ beachcomber
"Unless you need details of individual components (...)"

For producing drawings, you mean? Well it didn't stop me, but it sure is a drag. You create a view of the assembly, then hide all components except the one you want to detail. Some annotation tools don't work though.

It's tedious, but I prefered that to making individual parts for a whole frame. The Frame command was one of the reasons I chose SE over its competitors. What's funny is we didn't have much use for it a year later, but that's another story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back