Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Things that drive me nuts ... 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacek0841

Mechanical
Aug 31, 2005
CA
SW2005 SP4.0

- Open dwg, just for printing, PRINT , after that you want to close the file, without ANY changes - window pops up asking for saving changes ...... WHAT CHANGES ??? I haven't done ANYthing !!!

- Saving dwg with ONE sheet - window pops up saying Views on inactive sheets need updating ... bla ... bla ...

There in NO inactive sheets - there is only ONE sheet dammit !!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So I guess "wrench" is the wrong answer for this forum?

-----------------------

In SW the thing that has been driving me crazy recently would be SW deciding that it doesn't want to move dimensions from a main view to a detail view of the area in question. Generally it works fine, but it sort of defeats the purpose of the detail view if I can't point out the dimensions I needed the detail for in the first place.

jacek0841,

In regards to the first thing you mentioned. If the model that the drawing is based on is different than what was present when the drawing was saved, SW rebuilds the drawing. This causes the changes that SW wants to save and is one area where care is required for associative drawings. They can change without you realizing it.

Eric

What drives me nuts in SW? I wish I could pick the dimension line or extension line of a dimension to change it's value rather than having to pick the number.

Flores
SW06 SP3.0

smcadman ... RMB click anywhere on a dimension, select Properties, then change the Value. Not quite as good as a double click but still only 2 clicks.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

Thanks CBL, but if it has to be a 2-step process, I might as well zoom in until everything isn't too cluttered to pick the value.

Something else I would like is an automatic normal-to-sketch on all new sketches, not just the first sketch. Whenever you start a new part and start the sketch command, you are automatically normal-to sketch. Any new sketch after that, well you have to hit the normal-to button.

Flores
SW06 SP3.0

Amen to the OP - so annoying that simply printing requires a new save. Same to BiPolar's comment (obviously).

I'd like to throw the Photoworks interface into the ring - ALL of it.

The normal-to-sketch thing should be an option, but not required. I often like to line up my view then start the sketch.

Have you all submitted your "gripes" to SW as an ER?

Jabberwocky ... I think you will need to be a bit more specific than "the Photoworks interface ... ALL of it" [smile]

[cheers]

Jacek has a good one. I hate the same issue. Bring up a current drawing from the vault (PDM) and print it, then get prompted to save changes. Very aggravating.

One of the things I hate the most is getting a vague error message when attempting to create a feature. The message neither helps me to find the error, nor points me in the right direction. A better help menu with a general troubleshooting section would be great. Solidworks has the worst help menu I've ever seen.

Here's one thing I hate about PDM. If you load an assembly from the vault and do a save WITHOUT making ANY CHANGES, the vault will think the local version on your computer is newer than the vault copy. We need smarter software that compares part, drawing, and assembly files for differences. Not just looks at a date/time stamp.

And another thing (can you tell I'm on my soap box), how about a new version of Solidworks that has NO NEW CHANGES, except for fixing the existing issues. We should not be bug fixing DSS's software. Excuse me: Beta testing their software!

There's more, but it's quittin' time, and I hear a cold one calling my name, a beer, not my wife! lol :)

Yanceman

I hate the way that SW (after 2005 anyway) prints out the grid of a drawing if it's displayed at print time. Does this only happen for me? Is there a setting to turn this off? If so please let me know! After printing a few D size sheets of graph paper I killed the toolbar button for "Print" and made my own, which points to a macro that turns off the grid and then prints.

yanceman,
New changes with fixes all the time is what is making SW stay ahead (or catching up) of other CAD software.
Send in Enhancement Request's for things that you want changed. Stay quiet, don't get it.
handleman, I believe it is in your settings to turn off grid. I don't have it here in front of me to check.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 05
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home site (updated 06-21-05)
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

yanceman: while SW could easily implement a system for actually comparing a document to the vault version, you would not like the wastage of system resources (and your subsequent increase in coffee breaks)

Stefan Hamminga
EngIT Solutions
CSWP/Mechanical designer/AI student

I know how to turn off the grid display. I just don't want SolidWorks to print the grid on paper if it's displayed on the screen. The grid never printed on paper prior to SW 2005 (or maybe it was 2004). Why would anyone want the grid printed out? Do some people need to print their own graph paper? :)

Why would anyone want the grid printed out?
Why would anyone want the grid ... period. I detest using those. No-one I knew ever drew on graph or lined paper when on the board, so why on earth would anyone need it with CAD???

[cheers]

I never use grid either. In 20 years, I never used grid paper for drafting. I never used it in any CAD.
I used up to SW05. There is a setting somewhere to set it to not print.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 05
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home site (updated 06-21-05)
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

The grid is a visual aid for me in lining up dimensions. Our division's drawing standards (division motto - "We like to make up our own standards") dictate that the dim closest to the part edge is 20mm away and subsequent dims are spaced at 10mm. I realize that you can link dimensions to stay 10mm apart, but you can't simultaneously link them 10mm apart and collinear with other dims. I choose to link them collinear and visually line them up approximately 10mm apart using the grid. I did a lot of searching for a setting that stops the grid from printing, but found nothing.

Ctopher: Yes, I think I am due for another enhancement request. They haven't heard from me in a while :)

Stephan: Hopefully, in another few years when we are all on 64 bit processors, the file comparison won't slow us down.

Handleman: Create a layer on your drawing template that has the grid lines spaced as required, then just turn them off prior to plotting. A macro would work to automate this.

Yanceman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back