Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Things to Consider

Status
Not open for further replies.

OilHunter

Petroleum
Aug 29, 2011
AE
To all experts here I need an advice. this Idea comes in my mind after visiting out offshore field. At present we are burning a huge amount of gas to flare. Im thinking of ulitizing it for our online heater.. since we are using diesel power heater. I know it is posible but what factor I need to consider, our gas produced is zero H2S.. its basically a sweet gas.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What a waste, and thanks for contributing to global warming.

The gas may not have H2S, but it might have other light hydrocarbons in it that would make it unsuitable. Your question really can't be answered until the actual compositon is known.

If it doesn't have any objectionable things in it, and you can capture it and control it, by all means use it if the cost of doing so justifies the capital cost and O&M costs of doing so.

rmw

I haven't got a gas composition yet but it seems to be good for this purpose since we are using it in Onshore facilities as a fire tube in heater treater. I just dont understand why they cant use it in offshore.

There should be no issues at all, it is done all the time. You will need to have sufficient seperators to keep free liquids from entering the burners and some way to assure the fuel doesn't freeze off, like a LINE HEATER.

And you are not adding to GW as some believe.

dcastro,

That was I wanted to do priding line heater using assciated gas or gas separated rather than burning it to flare. if you got some schematic I will highly appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back