Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

thinwall or thick wall expansion joints???

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayhani

Mechanical
Jun 26, 2003
IR
i'm working as a mechanical designer of shell & tube heat exchangers for 5 years but still not satisfied with the suitable selection of expansion joints for the following reasons:
1-thick wall expansion joints: these types of expansion joints are exclusively designed by TEMA standard with all required considerations due to different thermal expansion of shell/ tube sides,different pressures of both sides and etc.
the material and thickness can be the same as shall and overally more reliable.
but the problem is that design of these expansion joints are much difficult and also doesn't have special manufactureres and you have to handle it to heat exchanger manufacturer.
also i find it very difficult to trust on the designs being made by BJac.
2- thin wall expansion joints are very commonly used but i always wonder that these type are designed for piping systems with one fluid only! how can it be modified for an exchanger?!
other problem is that their thichness are always thin ane actually not very recommendable for thick wall exchangers.
handeling and installation of them are also much important and difficult.
do you have any suggestion in this regards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back