Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thoughts on an idea for a CatiaV5 save file macro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayEnn1

Automotive
Sep 29, 2015
US
Hello!

I would like some feed back on an idea for a CatiaV5 save file macro. I will try my best to explain..

Typically, a designer would save file(s) locally on their computer while working on a design. Then the designer would provide an Adobe 3DPDF to the customer for review/approval. After design has been approved and changes ( if any ) have been completed we run an existing Catia macro that loops thru a tree renaming the "Part Number" property to a company standard format ( plus fills out other user attributes ). A big time saver. Then the designer has to go thru each CatProduct & CatPart and perform a Save As using the new part number as the new file name. That way the filename and the part number match. The designer has to do this one at a time and can be time consuming.

Would it be okay to write a script that would first create an empty temporary folder, loop thru the tree, obtaining the newly assigned part number property value, perform a Save as, saving the current object in loop to the new temporary folder using the part number as the new file name. Then..... The designer would within Catia perform a Save management and propagate the design to its final destination folder. Lastly delete the temporary folder after propagation.

Mainly looking for feedback on the idea. I'll tackle the script myself if I feel the task is okay to try and if there are any Warnings I should take into consideration.

Thank you!
Tom

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We use something similar to your idea at our shop. All of our non-standard components have a "#" in the front. Our renaming macro then searches all parts for "#", then adds in the job number in front of it.

This macro has been in the company for a while, so I don't know the specifics. I can look into the code later on today to see if I can explain better.

I don't get the method you design. Why not to assign desired part number at start of a design? You can even keep temp files in a folder on a desktop or somewhere else. After approval simply press send to folder.

pKayy,
Thank you! I would appreciate any thoughtful advice. I will write the script, just need some advice on the idea, warnings, link issues, etc..

Jenial,
We could rename parts & products in the beginning but the problem is things change throughout the course of a design. Customers review and propose new changes, build shop may introduce changes, and management may introduce changes. If we rename in the beginning then we will most likely have to rename again and possibly rename again. Because of potential changes, we save renaming towards the end of the design.
Our company naming policy has a numerical/alphabetical sequence. An organized list of details helps build shop to fabricate.

Thanks!
Tom

You may control folder name by date or revision but if there are a lot of components this will be a challenge. I know some big company here in Israel that controls releases by status like status 1, status 2, status 3. Status 3 means will be released without changes. If it's not breaking the rules of you company try to drop the idea of folder control instead of files control to your management. Changing files name without any special software may become an issue one day. Already got thru that and thanks God not to much components.

Thank you Ferdo,

Typically we create drawings after 3D is 100% & approved, otherwise we will need to perform the updates like you mentioned.
With tight budgets, we try not to do things twice.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back