Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

THOUGHTS ON DFL COATINGS. FLUKE OR WORTH IT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob1111

Aerospace
Oct 14, 2008
US
We have looked at adding DFL coatings to a few high wear parts. It requires that we lightly blast the materials with Al02 before coating. The main component in DFLs is Moly (same think in oil!) Just curious if these coatings are a marketing scam? I really do not want to waste my time and cost of adding a coating that does nothing..

has anyone tried them in a high wear situation?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

bob1111,

DFL's can be very effective when used appropriately, and are not a marketing scam. There are many types of DFL's, although moly disulfide is one of the more common.

You didn't define what a "high wear situation" is, so I can't say whether a particular DFL might be suitable. The quickest way to check if a particular DFL is suitable is by a simple PxV analysis. The manufacturer of the DFL will provide you with the DFL's PV capability.

Take a look here for some basic information:

Good luck,
Terry

As Terry said, DFL coatings are routinely used, and are not a scam. Whether or not they are appropriate for you specific application depends on the stresses, environment, etc. Molykote from Dow Corning is one of the higher performing options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back