Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thread Creation For SLA 3D Prints in SolidWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helepolis

Mechanical
Dec 13, 2015
IL
Hello all,

I'm trying to model a thread on a fitting with a lock cap for 3D print prototyping.
Previously i have modeled threads using the Thread Feature in SokidWorks and printed the parts successfully on an FDM printer, the MakerBot Replicator Z18.
This time I'm working with the FormLabs SLA Form 2 printer, and the threads from this machine just doesn't work, after the first 2-3 threads the cap just seize up.
I'm pretty sure that the reason for that is the much higher print resolution that requires a tolerance between the threads of the cap and fitting, with the FDM printer my guess is that the shrinkage of the extruded wire after it cools down add the tolerance "automatically" so to speak.

So my question is, can i somehow add tolerance during the creation of the threads using the Thread Feature or there is no avoiding doing the threads the "old fashion" way with Sweep Cut/Boss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back