Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thread engagement 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

thorangle

Mechanical
Mar 13, 2002
US
Can anyone tell me of a standard that specifies the minimum number of bolt thread protuding past the nut on a bolted flange?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know if it is a "standard" but 3 exposed threads is what is considered acceptable at several large plants that I am familiar with.
Ralph

As been practiced at our work site minimun of 3 threads exposed out must be complied when tightening flange connection. Whether this a standard, I am not too sure aswell. I believe the manufacturer can advise you on stardard specification.

Thorangle,
In aerospace applications, three threads minimum must be visible outside the nut. The reason for this is that bolts with rolled threads are allowed two pitches of 'incomplete thread'or 'lead thread' (basically run-in of the thread rolling tool). Furthermore, most nuts are designed with a one-pitch chamfer, which gives a total of three threads visible to ensure complete thread engagement. QED

The only standard I have seen for this subject is DIN 78 Bolt End Protrusions. It requires 3 threads protruding beyond the nut if the nut is a self-locking type and 2 threads if the nut is a regular free spinning type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back