Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Thread forming screws/brass insert molding in polycarbonate (Lexan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RossH2

Mechanical
Sep 21, 2018
US
Can anyone give me advise on designing screw bosses for injection molded Lexan? Should I avoid thread forming or self taping screws? Or is over molding brass inserts a better option? We could use heat staking but it significantly increases our product cost. Im shooting to use a M2 screw with a screw boss OD approximately 1.7-2.0 x the diameter of the screw or insert.

If we cant use Lexan does anyone have any recomendations of a resin that is optically clear that would accept thread froming screws or overmolded brass inserts?

Thanks for your time, I really appreciate any advice,

Ross

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Over molding inserts is usually the best but most expensive option, heat staking should be cheaper. Self tapping plastic screws should only be used if they won't be taken in and out repeatedly. They are really intended for one use but you can usually get away with a couple of reuses. I've had good results with Acument Delta PT thread forming fasteners.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back