Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thread in drawing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aleksandar81

Mechanical
Jul 2, 2014
BA
I don't have thread in section view only in view.Section view only shows hole for thread.

Untitled.png
[/url]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You are not going to see actual threads in the drawing unless you make the actual threads in the part. If you don't require that level of detail then save your memory and use Cosmetic threads.

Do you have any configurations?

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Evapar

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

I don't understand what link.You asking me why I added cut thread on the model?How else can I have thread shown on drawing if I don't do that way?I don't quite understand what's you point.

I don't think you understand how cosmetic threads work. They do more than just show a thread appearance in the hole. If you use cosmetic threads on a hole then side views will show the hidden lines commonly used to indicate a thread. Are you using Hole Wizard? If not, you should. If you specify a certain standard thread size like 1/4-20 or M6 x 1.0, then side views of that hole will show the hidden lines of the thread. Isn't that what you want to see?

I have been designing machines with Solidworks for 10 years and I have not ever actually modeled a cut thread. Cosmetic threads work great. Read about them and use them.

Sorry I didn't understand you at first.Yes I did use Hole wizard and cosmetic thread,but as you can see it doesn't show up every time on a section.

Untitled.png
[/url]

HAve you tried making a new component, add both threaded holes to the block and put it into a drawing and section it and see if you get the same results. If you then you need to contact your VAR? If it works as it's supposed to, then that means its a file specific issue and you should still contact your VAR.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Evapar

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

I have seen this happen sometimes and the culprit seems to be the section view. When I've seen it it was because either my section line was not quite lined up with the center of the hole or even sometimes if the hole was angled. Sorry, but to be honest I have found a real fix. You can try making sure the thread display in the view is set to "high quality", but that normally doesn't make a difference in most cases that I've come across. Personally I don't care about it enough to manually draw the thread lines in as long as I have the callout correct but others in my office feel differently so they will actually draw them in there.

I tried with the new section line (without editing)and it shows thread in the view.I think the problem could be that section line was edited in sketch and for some reason it didn't want to show the thread.I try to avoid adding additional lines to make it look like a thread,because it's not associative.

You triggered a thought here. Knowing some of the quirks of Solidworks, it would make sense to me that SW might not show the cosmetic thread hidden lines in a tapped hole if the section line did not go EXACTLY through the center of the hole. I don't mean somewhere near the center. I mean exactly on the center. And if the sketch line for the section isn't somehow tied to the center of the threaded hole (like with a relation) it might miss the center just slightly. That could be the culprit here. Maybe...

Apparently it depends on exactly HOW you miss the center:

Capture_hazlb3.png

"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert"
Arthur C. Clarke Profiles of the future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back