Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

thread teeth analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnsysNewUser

Aerospace
Jan 27, 2003
US
Hi,

I need to get the stress on the teeth of a pair of threads(one part is similar to a bolt, the other like a nut) , to see if the teeth will fail under an axial load. We have the theoretical value, and want to get a FEA value in Pro/Mechanica. my questions are:

1) how can I make the assembly so that the teeth from the two parts "bite" each other as they should be. In 2D drawing any pair of teech should share one common line like
. .....
. . .
. . ......
.. .....

2)Since the teeth is very small compare to the whole model(12teeth/in), any good suggestions for meshing? I try in AutoGEM, but failed due to small angle on the teeth, but AutoGEM works on the quater model.

I appreciate your help very much.

Anny

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you tried "simplifying" to a 2D axisymmetric contact analysis?

Hi anny,

I have to perform a similar analysis.
I followed RocketRonnie advise and I got some interesting results in comparison to our expectation.
My only uncertainty is how much the initial gap I had to give to the 2 parts (nut and bolt)of my assembly can affect the final results?
Did you get some helpful results from your analysis?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, Nettuno,

The project was canceled, so I didn't continue my analysis on the thread. However, if your load is a static one, the gap shouldn't affect the results.

Regards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back