Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thread type in a Threadolet

Status
Not open for further replies.

STALguy

Industrial
Jun 28, 2007
SE
Here's a total newbie question for you.

For Bonney Forge Threadolets they state the outlet size as a size in inches. But there is no clue as to what thread type it is. I can only conclude that its somehow assumed that the reader already knows. My problem, I don't know and there are a lot of threads to choose from, NPSC, NPSF, NPSI, NPSM, ANPT, NPT, NPTF, PTF etc. etc.

So, what is it that I am supposed to know in this case?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for your response.
That then limits my possible candidates to NPSC, NPSM and NPT. While I think we can rule out NPSM as it is for mechanical use I still don't know if it is a straight or taper thread.

PS I haven't got access to B1.20.1 or MSS SP-97.

As you may already know, ASME B1.20.1-1983 covers dimensions and gaging of pipe threads for general purpose.

Have you called your threadolet supplier to ask how you specify the thread type you need? Do you need the NPT type?

They no doubt exist - but I personally have never seen a thread-o-let with anything but National Pipe Taper threads.

If you are involved with a USA project, under ASME B31.1 or B31.3 it will be NPT threads.

Virtually every US project is NPT

Do you have a pipe specification for the rest of the piping systems ?

It is not for a specific project.
I am setting up new internal component standards for ASME pipe fittings and adding our own article numbers and design directions. To simplify for the designers I would like to add this type of information from the outset rather than having the designers figuring this out for them selves each time.

Mr. Cronin means, when You are not in the USA You can also have BSP (british) thread for Your continuing fittings.
Then You need threadolets with BSP thread.

Greetings

The usage is for gasturbine units for oil & gas production and pipeline operation. Since the oil & gas industry is predominantly API/ASME/ASTM centric I think we can safely assume NPT.

Thanks to all for taking time to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back