Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Threaded Ball Valve Class 2000 vs 3000 CWP

Status
Not open for further replies.

RicoB

Chemical
Aug 14, 2015
CA
Hello everybody

I am new in North America and try to get my head around all the standards, classes for pipes, fittings and valves. I was reading a lot about abusing the # symbol for classes and so on. However, there are still a couple things I don't understand.

1. Where can I find the the pressure ratings for threaded ball valves outlined as "Class 2000"?

2. I came across a customer pipe spec., which outlines for ball valves "Class 2000" and "3000 CWP" at the same time. Now I am just wondering if this is the same standard or how is the cold working pressure (CWP) interchangeable with the class 2000?

Thanks a lot
Rico

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am from the gas industry, and in general a THREADED ball valve has the following pressure ratings, assuming it meets ANSI B16.11: 2000 psig (or 2000#), 3000 psig, or 6000 psig.

2000 psig is referred to as "standard", 3000 psig is extra strong or XS, 6000 psig is double extra strong XXS. I believe that if your customer is wanting a threaded ball valve "class 2000" he is wanting a standard (2000 psig working pressure) ANSI B16.11 valve. These are common up to about 2".

Now he may be referring to a class 2000 flanged/weld-in ball valve which is very different. This would be a specific (non threaded) ball valve with API 6A 2000 psig flanges. These could be a variety of sizes. You should verify what exactly he is wanting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back