Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Threaded Reducing Tee available in CLASS 3000? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiniEIT

Petroleum
Aug 8, 2014
CA
I am looking for an NPS 1-1/4" x NPS 1/2" threaded reducing tee avaible in Class 3000? I know that they are available in class 125, 150, 300, etc. (as per Anvil International catalogue), but I haven't found one in Class 3000. Do they exist?

I also ask because they are not listed within the ASME B16.11 spec. If they do in fact exist, in what spec are they found?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

B16.11 doesn't specifically list any reducing tees or crosses, as far as I'm aware. It just gives a general rule for dimensions of fittings in section 6.5 (the largest size connection is the driving dimension for each branch).

So that should be available as a fitting, but I would contact your fitting vendor. It's a bit of an odd size combination, but not so weird you shouldn't be able to track one down. Given that you're dealing with threaded piping, it might be easier / cheaper to swage up and go to an 1-1/2" x 1/2" reducing tee for that connection. You could also use a bushing, if that's allowable in your particular piping system.

Threaded reducing tees are available in class 3000# in carbon and stainless steel. By that I mean you can buy them, or more properly, I have bought them and they exist on my shop storage shelf.

Socket weld by threaded (threaded branch) reducing tees do not exist, but can be made from the threaded reducing tees.

Are you likely to find one with any dimension being 1 1/4" NPS? Doubtful. Most people avoid 1 1/4" NPS as an oddball size. So it may exist in theory, or in a table, but it'll be (almost) as rare as 3.5" NPS pipe. I've never seen a piece of that in my 25+ yrs slingin' pipe.

Guys, appreciate all the feedback!

We were actually able to order a NPS 1-1/4 x NPS 1-1/4 x NPS 1/2 threaded (FPT) Class 3000 Tee. I guess that even though the B16.11 spec doesn't specifically layout a table of options for threaded reducing tees, Sections 3.2 and 6.5 suggest that it is possible.

Also, I recently needed an NPS 3/4 x NPS 3/4 x NPS 1/2, SW x SW x Threaded Class 3000 Tee. To do so, the vendor took a 3/4 x 3/4 x solid branch tee, and then drilled and tapped the branch to 1/2". I find it interesting that the world of fittings is larger than what the specs tell us (still have to use engineering judgement of course!).

Thanks for your help on this guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back