Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Threaded Rod & Epoxy In Masonry Joints

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSVBD

Structural
Jul 23, 2015
US
RE: Installation of F1554 Grade 36 (or other) Threaded Rod & "Epoxy" / "Adhesive" in Concrete Masonry Horizontal Bed Joints and Vertical Head Joints.

1. Is “Head” and “Bed” Joint the/a correct/familiar terminology?
2. CAN we drill and install threaded rod with HILTI/DeWALT/Simpson/etc Adhesives in masonry joints "IN SOLID GROUTED CONCRETE MASONRY"?
3. I think the adhesive would create a sufficient bond to grout and masonry units.
4. Do specific fastener / adhesive proprietors have "special" drill bits for such application?
5. Is there a Reduction Factor for such application?
6. Joints CANNOT “COMPLETELY” be avoided!!!

Even though I HAVE included, in my specifications, “NO THREADED ROD TO BE INSTALLED WITHIN 1-1/2” OF HEAD OR BED JOINT”, it simply CANNOT be avoided in MANY instances!

I thought I stumbled across a publication / resource that addressed and allowed this, but, now, cannot locate it (when I need it).

Please advise... Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. The horizontal mortar joint is the bed joint. The vertical mortar joint is the head joint.
2. Not to my knowledge.
3. Why do you think that?
4. Drilling into mortar joints would only require a masonry/concrete bit...
5. Not to my knowledge because it's not allowed by the mfr. because testing shows it doesn't reliably work. There are reduction factors if you in the face of block but too near the edge of wall.
6. I disagree that it cannot be avoided as I've done just that on multiple projects.

I think you are confused between mortar and grout. Grout fills the cells, mortar goes between the block. From Simpson's literature for Set-XP. I recall Hilti's being similar.
Capture_wfh1cr.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back