Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Threads not showing

Status
Not open for further replies.

miketwalker

Computer
Dec 3, 2002
US
I made a protrusion using a circle, and I'm trying to add threads. I made my circle 1/4", and I'm trying to use the thread command and add 1/4-20 threads, but when I click "Finish" the cylinder sides just turn green, but no threads appear. How do I make the threads visible, or did I do something wrong? I'm using Version 10.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

With the risc of misjudging:
SE doesn't make thread vissible, unless you model a helical protrusion or cutout with the thread-form. Since thread is highly standardised, and the tools common, the thread doesn't have to be detailled in a drawing, a simple indication of size and length is enough, everybody knows what you're talking about.
If you want to show the thread, you have to appreciate the computerpower that is needed to display it. I remember Unigraphics displaying the threads on bolts and stuff ten years ago, but at a cost of slowing your system to a halt. You just moddeled a cilinder or a hole. SE can 'model' thread for you, but will only show it on a dawing (and in green..) to save computer-power.
Try moddeling a helical protrusion (like a spring) on your system and see the power required. You don't want that for a simple nut or bolt.

However, if you want to moddel thread, use a helical protrusion on the outside of the inner cilinder of your part. Define the section, define the length and pitch (or an onther combination, see the toolbar-dropdown-lists) and you will see the thread in it's full glory. It might be a bugger to specify the standard sections yourself, but you will rearly use it. I've moddeled a fourfold trapezium-tread with special accuracy and special roundings, and it sure took some time, but the endresult (on screen, on drawing and in the end-product) was perfect. Just fiddle around some, you'll get the hang of it.

Regards,

Pekelder

I think you are referring to the picture representation in the modeling environment.

It's been a while since I used v10, so hopefully I send you to the correct commands.

First of all, the green color is the default "construction" color for threads to show that a thread feature has been added without adding the graphic to it. This setting is for users with slow graphics cards that can't handle the rendering the thread graphic on a cylinder. (By the way, the threads you are talking about are only a bitmap/jpg image wrapped over the cylinder. It is not a helical feature as Pekelder describes.)

To show the thread represetation...
Under the Format menu choose View.
In the Rendering tab, click Textures.
Click OK.

You may have to set this in your part templates to have it on by default.

--Scott

For some pleasure reading, the Round Table recommends FAQ731-376

Ah, so I was misjudging. I didn't know SE could show you a thread as a texture that simple. Have to try that one. Thanx Scott!

Regards,

Pekelder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back