Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Three phase autotransformer 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pragmatist

Electrical
May 29, 2003
US
What problems can arise if I use a three phase autotransformer with a center tapped delta power source? Sinse each phase is 240 Volts, I am told the one tapped phase will cause my autotransformer or its' load to short out.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Suggestion: Please, would you elaborate on transformer connections, e.g. Autotransformer connection, center tapped delta power source connection, (open delta versus closed delta)?

Hello jbartos,

My sources can be three phase 60 Hz.Y or delta at 208V, 240V, 480V, & 575V(Canada). I assume that I won't be able to use corner grounded 240V delta.

My load will be a three phase Y connected refrigeration compressor operating at 440 V 60 Hz. (European design)

The autotransformer has all of the above taps for the input voltages and for the 440 V output. It also has a non-grounded neutral.

I plan to tap one of the 440 V phases to develope, via another single phase autotransformer, 230 V for control boards and ventilating fans.

Suggest obtaining a commercial 480∆-240∆ dry-type transformer reverse fed with taps adjusted for lower ratio.

To: busbar

It looks like you are recommending an isolated transformer to get around the different kinds of three phase systems; grounded and ungrounded, that might be found in the US. Is this correct?

Suggestion: The dedicated transformer secondary load, e.g. a compressor, does not have to have grounded transformer secondary neutral.
The primary voltages are just a matter of correct taps.
The range of transformer primary voltages is suitable for an autotransformer. It will be smaller than a regular two winding transformer. There is a chance to save some money on shipping.

While the compressor motor's power circuit doesn't have to be grounded, the control circuit does per the NEC. Therefore, if the power source is ungrounded a control-circuit transformer will be required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back