Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Three Phase Transformer Polarity 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

emoltzan

Electrical
Nov 13, 2020
US
I have a question that came up the other day when we were putting tie breakers between 2 480V switchboards. We have a 2 5kV breakers each feeds a different 4160-480V Delta-Wye transformer. These transformers each feed a separate switchboard with breakers. We tied these switchboards together with a tie breaker on each to backfeed if one of the transformers were lost. My question comes here; we measured voltage between the 2 switchboards and measured A-A 280V B-B 280V C-C 280V. This must be coming from the transformer having differing polarity as the voltage between A-A B-B C-C should be 0 to avoid closing into a bolted fault. Can someone explain how 280V is developed?

-Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You have two phases swapped on one of the primaries. This makes a 60 deg phase shift on the secondary. The voltage between like phases will be the 277 V line-ground voltage.

Based on that, and from what we thought earlier it looks like a 60 deg phase shift when comparing both secondaries. I was attempting to do some phasor comparison with 60deg angle between two phasors with equivalent magnitude (480V)and still not coming up with the 280V we saw.

It’s not polarity wrong, displacement is wrong.
Check the voltages across A&B, and A&C, see what you come up with.

60 degree shift tells me the delta primary is landed different on the two transformers

A DABY can be a DACY (DY1, DY11) simply by landing an ABC rotation differently.
Assume ABC rotation. DY1 A phase is landed on H1, B phase landed on H2, C phase on H3..
DY11 is A phase landed on H3, B phase landed on H2, C phase landed on H1.
SO YOUR 30 degree lead becomes 30 degree lag, therefore 60 degrees between transformers.

With an ACB rotation its the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back