Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Three Sided Masonry Wall Open Front structure with Stiff Diaphragm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rajshrn

Structural
Jan 13, 2017
FJ
I have got a 4 storey masonry shear wall building, which is sort of like an open corridor type structure with walls on only 3 sides. I have attached a layout of the structure. Evidently, I have more than adequate walls in the y-direction to brace my structure and just enough in x-direction. My floors are one-way spanning solid reinforced concrete slabs. With this type of structure, I am relying on my diaphragm to provide cantilevered action and transfer all y-axis seismic forces to the central walls. Would anyone have any reference materials on designing of these types of structures, or possibly a set of restrictions? The NewZealand code does not mention much about these types of structures. I am also getting first modes of vibration as torsion but my deflections are relatively low.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c7430fa2-1802-4230-a9a6-553a2502201f&file=thumbnail.jpeg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When you say "central walls" are you referring to the walls at the center corridor which are really close to the center of the structure? Or, are you referring to the multiple interrupted walls just prior to the cantilevers? These are much closer to the perimeter of the building and would be a better location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back