Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Thrust Resistance of Gable Roof with Vaulted/Tray Ceilings (Tension Continuity)

mfstructural

Structural
Feb 1, 2009
US
I am reviewing some architectural plans to provide markups and wanted to get people's thoughts on some roof framing. I've attached a screenshot of the framing. There is a vaulted ceiling at one side of the house and tray at the other. There are some struts provided with H10S connectors for thrust resistance and to provide the vaulted ceiling. I'm going to design the rafters for full length (so 2x12s) and then have the struts frame in and nailed to the rafters, with connectors at the base as called out on the drawing. The center ceiling joist will tie the two sides together. I don't know if I'm overthinking this but I'm debating how much load the struts will attract and pass down to the walls below. I feel like the loads will be transferred in tension across and resist outward thrust, will a small amount going into the interior walls as a vertical load.

This is unconventional, but the main concern is outward thrust resistance.

tension_framing_maz1uw.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You either need a structural ridge or a pony wall under the ridge to support it.
If you have 2D ability, you should model this to see what it's really doing.

You need ridge braces to load bearing wall below. I suspect maybe every 32" or 48". I personally would rather frame it with a ridge beam though. Less room for error.
2024-09-30_11-38-00_sisbgm.jpg

Back