Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thumbnail Instead of Icon

Status
Not open for further replies.

felix7502

Mechanical
Mar 24, 2003
US
I have just installed SW2016 SP2 and have a problem with one of my newly created files. I have my SW Explorer and my Windows 7 Explorer set to show icons. The one newly created part and drawing show as a bitmap in SW only. If I change the folder name in any way they show as icons. When I create a new part and place it in this folder, it also shows as a bitmap. When I create a new folder with the same name and place a completely different part and drawing into it, it does the same thing (bitmaps instead of icons).
It seems that SW treats this one folder differently than all the other folders in the system. Any ideas??
Thanks,
Sylvia

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It may, if I wanted to show thumbnails, but I don't. I have everything set to icons except this one folder that shows the part and drawing as thumbnails in SW only. They appear as icons in Windows Explorer. They also appear as icons if I change the folder name by adding a letter or number to it. I've also tried creating a new folder and this doesn't work either.
Thanks for trying.
Sylvia

Do you have Solidworks set to "Show thumbnail graphics in Windows Explorer" on the System options tab? I believe having that checked off then the icons will show up as images of the parts. If it is not checked off then you get regular part/assembly/drawing icons when looking in Explorer

Thanks for you help. Not what I needed, but something happened to our computers over the weekend and now everything is fine. It was only (1) folder that had this anomaly. Sylvia

UPDATE : It's back again. I think it must be related to SP2.0. I'm the only one who's updated SW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back