Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Ti-3ALv2.5 - stress strain TABLES1 for MATS1 material definition (20 deg C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerodesign

Aerospace
Dec 3, 2001
GB
I am working on a landing gear design/stress which is using T1-3ALv2.5 tubing. Linear static analysis indicates higher than yield stresses in various places. I have refined the model to enable believable stresses to be recovered (FE is mixed 1d, 2d and 3d elements) and now need to define the Ti material using MATS1 and a corresponding TABLES1 entry.

Does anybody have a traceable MATS1 NASTRAN bulk data card for this grade of Ti?

The structure will be welded, post weld heat treatment will be accounted for by factoring baseline results.

Regards
JW

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Aerodesign...

" ...working on a landing gear design/stress which is using T1-3ALv2.5 tubing...'.

WHAT is the Ti-3AL-2.5V tubing specification your parts are MF...?
AMS4945?
AMS4946?
AMS4944?
AMS4941?
AMS4942?

CAUTION
As I understand it, Ti-3AL-2.5V tubing is exclusively used for high pressure hydraulic system use... annealed and strain-cold-worked... and usually after being proof-pressure-tested and/or autofrettaged. The advantage of this tubing is the ability to be formed to tight radii for tube-routing. Use of this tubing in a 'mechanical/structural sense'... is a highly non-standard application.

I have used 21-6-9 CRES thick-wall tubing 'straight sections', for certain mechanical/structural applications... but not without significant reservations [angst!].

Regards, Wil Taylor

o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

Aerodesign... OKayyyy...

'ASTM-what' grade 9... ???

Please be specific... just-so-that-we-know-that-you-know... Examples of what I mean are...

ASTM B338 Standard Specification for Seamless and Welded Titanium and Titanium Alloy Tubes for Condensers and Heat Exchangers
[Grade 1 thru Grade 39]
1.1.5 Grade 9—UNS R56320. Titanium alloy (3% aluminum, 2.5% vanadium)

ASTM F2146 Standard Specification for Wrought Titanium-3Aluminum-2.5Vanadium Alloy Seamless Tubing for Surgical Implant Applications (UNS R56320)
[NO GRADE 9 LISTED]

Regards, Wil Taylor

o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back