Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tiedown Straps Stiffness 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZKLCM

Jan 25, 2015
NZ
Folks,

I am seeking data on stiffness values of typical 2" aviation cargo tiedown straps.

Can anybody direct me to such data?

Thank You

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Getting stiffness information for textiles is nearly impossible. Even for 'engineered' fabrics the main concerns are weight, tensile strength, sometimes tear strength, and for fusible materials, peel strength.

You may try to contact strap manufacturers or be forced to perform the testing yourself.

It is an odd situation, but I suspect it has to do with the strong interaction between the raw fiber properties and the complex assembly process that goes into making fabric. Some fabrics have almost no shear resistance; others are very shear resistant.

The stretch can be significant.
Consider the barrier net that would restrain cargo in an aircraft, and picture thousands of pounds of cargo being held back at 9g's. The nets stretch a lot. Now ask yourself if the next obstacle installed in front of the net, which could be a bulkhead, or a seat, or a cabinet, installed far enough ahead of the net, that the cargo won't come in contact. If it does, how much load is added to the obstacle?

When faced with the issue, I decided to test the net. Actually, I tested a single strap, and used the stretch to calculate the deformation of the net. Plus a margin.

STF

I would thick the logic is the same as for bolt tensioning. The straps have to be pretensioned to more than the max expected load so that the load will not move at all. This assumes a rigid floor to which to attach. If the loads are only supported by straps then the load will basically be supported be springs.

Parachute design information- FAA Parachaute Riggers Handbook, Knacke, Poynter, MIL guidance, OEM information, studies, etc. The information is out there.

That said, expect to validate by test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back