Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tiff Snapshot just not cutting it 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

techman007

Computer
Apr 3, 2001
Quick question for all you pro/e gurus out there. We are having problems with exporting something other then a tiff snapshot from a drawing in 2000i2. Does anyone have a workaround or a solution to this problem?

Thanks for the help

D

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It depends on what you want. You can export DXF etc.
But if you want an image file and have no way of converting it to a jpeg for example. You can do this within proe. First export you tif file from you drawing. Open a part then open photorender. Open the image browser. You can now open your tif file and use save-as to save it to your Jpeg or another format.
This is long winded but if you have no other way of converting file formats and can't open DXF. then this will work fine.

Hope this is something like you wanted.

Good luck :)

Selim

I am using Pro/E 2001 and upgraded from 2000i. There are many options available for export. One of the directions we have taken is using the CGM format.
The reasons are: 1.) It is small 2.) Like a PDF file it is uneditable 3.) You can get free viewer activex plug ins for web browser. 4.) It is a vector file so you can zoom in forever and get actual detail. 5.) It is a MIL standard.

Do you have ann viewing packages? Vis View? Fast Look?

Ok. Here's the deal. We are trying to export an image be it (gif, jpeg, tiff, whatever) and all that 2000i2 is allowing us to do is export as tiff snapshot. We can do dxf and such but we need a quick and reliable way of exporting images that are actualy readable. Tiff snapshot is fine for models but when you have drawings with dimensions and so on they are unreadable on a large drawing.

Has anyone else tried to export image files of Drawings? Jpeg and regular tiff export work fine for models/assemblies and so on just not for drawings ..

Any ideas?

If your looking for something to use on a regular basis I would recommend Adobe Acrobat. ($250 Investment for Ver 5.0). You print through MS Print Manager and set Adobe PDFwriter up as your default printer. Once Pro/E finishes its part Print Manager pops up. You then can go into the properties (just like a normal printer) and it will let you set the print size, resolution, etc.. The nice thing is, once it writes the PDF file you have a read only file for distribution. It's great if you post your drawings on an intranet for universal use. Viewers can mark up, zoom in etc., but not change. Also great for emailing since the PDF Reader is free off the web.

Hope this is helpful.

Bill
Bill

CGM is great. It is non-modifiable. It is small. It does not lose any resolution.

Check it out if you have a chance.

The file size will amaze you .. 1/10 the size of an AutoCAD drawing

I have been creating PDF files of my drawings for documentation and filing. This also keeps the non-engineering personel out of Pro/E. I just succesfully tried to create a PDF of a model. It was only 97K. So this would work for images of solids as well.

I purchased a simple program called WIN2PDF, I found at download.com. It was only ~$35. It simply acts as a printer and whatever you send to it is capured in a PDF file. It's realy simple and cheap.

If you are trying to export the 2D drawing to an application such as Word or Powerpoint then you could try ploting the drawing to a file (ensure plotter type is a HPGL) then import it directly into Word (asuming you have got the graphics filter loaded).

The other way is to create a monochrome TIF file again in the same way as you would create a plot. Select printer type choose tiff from list (JPEG and others are there to) select print to file. configer plot as you would normaly do (ie paper size) then click ok. You should now have a monochrome Tiff file which looks exactly like a paper copy.

(this should work without changing any configeration settings, but check config setiing tiff_compression is set to g4)

Note if you are importing into word HPGL files are best but not always reliable.

Regards

Andy

FYI PDF can be edited. There is lots of shareware to do it and all of Adobe's graphics progrmas can edit PDFs.

Of course most people can't do it an won't bother so it is usualy good enough but do not consider it to be absolutely unchangable.

I consider it the best way to send drawings. Even to people that have pro/e I have had so many vendors tell me I didn't send the second page of drawing because they didn't know where the command was to switch pages.

Here is a link to instructions on how to install a free printer utility to make PDFs. This is from Steve Hassenzahl and the Atlanta Pro/user group. (I have not used it)

ProEpro

the cleanest way i've found to send drawings to clients without sending dxf or iges files is to use print to file and then change the extension to .eps.

1. click the print icon
2. change the "destination" to "postscript"
3. check the box next to "to file" and uncheck "to printer"
4. click "ok"
5. choose a name and saving location.
6. replace the .plt extension with .eps

.eps can be opened easily in photoshop and illustrator.

Hi,

Here is my advice:

To export a drawing in WORD/POWERPOINT, use CGM because it is a vectorial format and you can zoom it in word without loosing quality. Before you do that, change the colors for the system. Choose BLACK ON WHITE scheme.

To export a SHADED MODEL, simply hit ALT and PRINTSCREEN buttons on your keyboard. The image is now in WINDOWS clipboard. Just paste it (CTRL V)in your program.

:) Hora

Hello techman007,
I hit CTRL>PRINT SCREEN which saves the whole screen image onto the clipboard. I then open PhotoShop (or MS Paint) and CTRL>V (paste) into the paint program. There I crop out everything but my image. Tweak as needed in the paint program. Much better resolution than ProE's TIFF.
~Karen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back