Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tightness/leak test of shell-and-tube heat exchangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajcousins

Mechanical
Oct 28, 2021
US
Hello all,

We have a handful of exchangers that we're pulling during our next TA to blast and clean the tubes. We want to do a tightness/leak test after we've cleaned them and put the bundles back. My question is what pressure should we bring the shell and tube sides up to? I was thinking 1.1x operating or 1.0x design.

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Does the nameplate specify a test pressure? Were they designed/constructed to any codes which would prescribe the required testing before returning them to service?

I'd start there.

What are the operating and design pressures? What is the fluid and what temperature does it run at?

ajcousins -- Leak testing is often done with low pressures air, say 25 psi, in conjunction with a bubble forming solution. For inaccessible areas, simply watching for a pressure decay may suit.

Mote sensitive media such as helium used with a sensitive detector is common as well.

Much discussion on the site, might try a search.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Cousin ....

Will you be using liquid or air to test your heat exchangers ? (you did not state) ..... Makes a big difference

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back