Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Tilt Up Panel Openings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Peterson

Structural
May 10, 2021
US
Client wants to put a 9'-0" overhead door opening in a 12' wide panel (5 total actually). Just starting this project, but thinking taking out 75% of the bottom fixity in each panel will require a steel framing solution at each opening to transfer the missing panel loads at the opening to the foundation, along with fixing the panel to the frame on three sides due to the minimum remaining panel width. Panel is 8" thickness.

After cutting the opening, there probably will only be 12"-15" of panel on each side of the opening. Has anyone experienced this scenario before? I have not. Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is the panel profile? and is the opening centred... leaves 1-6" or less on each side?

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

If 12' wide panel with 9'-0" overhead door opening, the leafs should be 1,5 ft wide if symmetric.
I have experienced similar case for architectural precast facade walls and used temporary RHS struts at bottom level of the opening .

What is your total length of wall? Does the panel still check for the shear load?

How is the panel fixed at the base? Usually its a couple weld plates or anchors. They might be in the leg that is left.

Lastly, a strong-back up each leg would usually suffice. (generally the header is still sufficient if load bearing)

What is your failure mechanism? Unbraced/maximum axial/flexural?

This might be a silly question but why is the panel fixed at the base? Typically I've seen these panels as pinned.

Thank you everyone. Yes the panels are pinned. I misspoke. I do not yet know how tall the panels are, but am guessing in the range of 25'-30'. Single story warehouse with crane inside of panels about 15' away (a separate line of columns for the crane.

I have yet to do any calculations, as I am just starting the project. Basically stating some ideas before I get started to see if anyone had similar experiences.

I do not have access to the panel reinforcement, but obviously the pinned connection at the being being removed for the opening will need something to transfer the panel loads back to the foundation. I.E. two tube columns and a header at each opening?

We have run into a bunch of these lately.

Yes, you will likely need steel framing to carry the entire load previously assigned to the panel. The questions I struggle with: how stiff does the framing need to be and how do I get the loads from the panel into my support frame?

Another thing we run into is if you have older, supposedly composite, panels, how do you assign stiffness? These panels are often bowed so how does one perform the detailing to account for a bowed panel? The solutions tend to be less than graceful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back