Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Tilt-wall casting on structural slab

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyCamber

Structural
Apr 20, 2022
US
I am working on a project that was originally a typical tilt-wall project. The site is needing to be built up about 4 feet or so per civil drawings. However, after receiving comments back from the city, they are saying that since this building is in the 100-year flood plain, fill cannot be used to build up the building slab. The design team has since decided to proceed with a structural slab. My concern is the slab won't be able to be used as a casting bed for the tilt-wall panels. Designing the slab for the weight of the panels would be simple enough but I'm not sure how to quantify and check the slab for the forces when the panels need to be lifted. There is probably enough room for casting beds on site (GC is currently looking into this) but this question has peaked my interest. Is there a guide or literature of some sort that discusses this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Wouldn't they attempt to cast these such that they tilt up right at their gradebeam locations? If so, I'm not sure what sort of loads during lifting that you're concerned about.

If you're talking about loads of lifting equipment on the slabs, that should be relatively simple to determine as well.

I think your problem is the tilt operation. You would need to look at that part a bit closer to see how that part of the operation will affect the slab. Otherwise, I do not see this being a big challenge unless the main floor live load is low or they want to cast the panels too soon after the slab is cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back