Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Timber Design Self-Study

Status
Not open for further replies.

AriStructural

Structural
May 11, 2016
US
Hi all,

I've been browsing this forum for a couple of years and I've finally decided to join. I'm a structural engineering student and I want to learn timber or wood design. What book do you guys recommend me? I live in California and every where you look you see residential buildings with timber structures.

Any input would be highly appreciated.
Thanks,

AriStructural

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Design of Wood Structures by Donald Breyer.

I also highly recommend getting a summer job framing houses as the knowledge gained from that is immeasurable when it comes to making constructable details.

Agreed with what is posted above. Also, the APA has a number of great free resources, especially once you've gotten a grasp on the basics from Breyer and are looking at constructability.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!! I just ordered the Design of Wood Structures by Donald Breyer. I took Jayrod's advice to the chin and I will try to find a framing job this summer. Nothing beats hands-on experience + textbook knowledge.

I really don't want to start a new thread for another question, but any suggestion for foundation design books?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back