Timber Joist Floor Build Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychedomination

Structural
Jan 21, 2016
BM
Hi there,

I'm working on a project where the client would like to remove a spiral staircase and infill the void.

I'm unsure what the adjacent slab reinforcement is, so I'm uncomfortable relying on that to take the additional load from the infill slab. I was planning on framing out the opening with joists spanning between CMU block walls (either in pockets within the CMU, with a timber stringer or connected with strong-ties directly to the CMU wall) and building up the floor in the opening location.

Framing is shown in the below plan image:

lAYOUT_-_Copy_yskuqc.png

The orange colours show the structural timber joists; the purple is a redundant joist (for architectural purposes, the client wants the exposed timber ceiling look). The yellow is the outline of the staircase opening.

Below is a site image of the staircase with the structural joists shown.
1_Tribe_Road_3_-_Copy_vsl8pw.jpg

The below image shows a conceptual cross-section of the build-up:

Void_Fill_-_Copy_vvzaht.png

I think doubling the ply layers on top of each other would've been better for deflection, but if I do that, then it won't look good from underneath, as you will see the 2x8s and the 2x6s on top of them.

Is there a more efficient way to do the build-up/framing? Or should I stick with the original approach?

The existing floor slab is 7 1/8" thick. The build-up that I show is 7" but allows for 1/8 to 1/4 for levelling/screed to tile on top of. The client will be putting vinyl tile throughout their house, including on top of this new floor system (timber joist with a ply subfloor). The client hasn't clarified the exact type of vinyl flooring that they will be using. I'm unsure if the new vinyl flooring will go on the adjacent ceramic tile or if they will be removing that prior to placing the vinyl.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back