Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Time Delay on Loss of Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE12345

Structural
Jun 12, 2014
US
I am currently working on a project were I have a primary and secondary brake and the secondary brake needs to have a 1-3 second time delay after the 1st break sets. For this application we need to use two electromechanical brakes and the brakes selected use a solenoid. My thought was to place a capacity parallel to the brake solenoid sized based on the drop out voltage and resistance of the solenoid similar to the attached drawing. My questions are am I missing anything and would this also work with an actuator brake. Thanks.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c915fc03-e2be-4ea0-ad7c-a69ab2d1f423&file=Time_Delay_Circuit.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For the capacitors I thought having 2 polarized capacitors with the negative leads together makes it non polarized and cuts the capacitance in half.

You're kind of right about the caps but they are on the DC side of the rectifier which makes it pointless. A standard electrolytic would work fine on the DC side of the rectifier.

A capacitor is probably the only electrical method of holding off the brakes for that length of time. How much current do the solenoids draw?

They have 2 coils with a mechanical switch once the brake is energized initial draw is 4.6-5.9 amps but then switches to .09-.07 amps once repositioned which will be the state I am dealing with on loss of power.

One concern with this circuit is when power is applied to the brake. A very large capacitor will look like a dead short and draw excessive current till it charges up. That could be a problem with contacts. To avoid this, a low ohm resistor is placed in series with the capacitor limiting charge current. A diode in parallel with that resistor allows the capacitor to discharge through the brake with no loss when power is removed. A better solution may be to use a smaller capacitor and delay a relay instead, appling delayed power to the brake.

Like the cap + diode solution. The brake coil still needs a source of power for the latter solution even if you use a pneumatic timing relay, and if this a safety system then that source may not be available other than from an energy store such as a capacitor or battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back