Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time for condensation to take place

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbecht

Petroleum
Jul 21, 2014
US
Is there a calculation for the time it take heavier hydrocarbons (C4+) to coalesce and fall out as oil?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

At best it would be a statistical average that doesn't help much with an individual situation. I've seen vapors super saturated for many minutes and miles down a pipe. I've also seen condensation prior to the dew point. Any of these numbers are useful averages for a population, and individual results may vary. If I know that a gas stream cannot stay super saturated forever, then I know that I have to deal with condensation. If I know that it can stay super saturated for a while, then I know I have to deal with condensation in the gathering system. Much more than that and you are working outside the accuracy of the calculation.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

Law is the common force organized to act as an obstacle of injustice Frédéric Bastiat

At any given point in time there will always be a C4+ condensing and one evaporating, in equilibrium

If you want to maximize the rate toward making liquids, use a coalescing filter separator. Oh, technically, the liquid is called condensate, not oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back