Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time history analysis 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Structural
Nov 18, 2011
CA
I am running a time history analysis (a record of a ground motion) through my building. How do I combine the effects of time history to the effects of gravity loads (i.e. dead and live loads) so that I can check the adequacy of the structural elements? Do I combine linearly the gravity loads to time history in the Load Combinations? Or can time-history analysis include the effects of gravity loads? If so, how is the analysis result used in the Steel Design module of the program?

Also, a ground motion record has accelerations recorded in both X and Y direction. Do I include both using "Load Name" when I define "Load Case Data"?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

4408, you can run a sequenced nonlinear P-Delta analysis for Dead and Live load, then sequence your time history load to be based on that nonlinear P-Delta case using Direct integration time history analysis. Alternatively, you could run a modal time history case and base the modal Ritz case to be based on the stiffness of the nonlinear P-Delta case.

You define your ground motion record as a time history function. SAP2000 can read a text file. You can have earthquake acting in 1 direction or multiple directions to simulate quake acting at an angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back