Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time to complete Sub Station design and fabrication drawings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKapper

Mining
Jun 24, 2012
AU
Hello!

I need to get a better understanding of the time to complete the jobs I'm assigned at work. Currently I draw transportable high voltage sub stations for the mining industry. I love the work, but I'm looking to streamline my design time. The time frame I'm given (or billable hours) is very limited and I'm trying to argue that I require more design hours to save time and costs further down stream.

Where you guys come into it is to check the image in the link and give me a ball park allotment of time required to design a sub station of this size, or how long it "should" take if you were a business. This is total time from rough sketch to modeling and final fabrication drawings. This is for a tracked skid base, a switch room and components, the top deck and components, access to the upper deck (stairs or ladder + hatch). At this stage no two sub stations have ever been the same, I can loot components but its rarely possible to lift one skid base and use it in a new sub station.

The other HUGE hurdle I'm encountering is first being forced to begin the design process without the full description of the sub stations purpose or required internal components - I have to design around if's, but's and maybe's. Its a little frustrating. I'm also rolling back and forth through numerous changes peppered throughout the design process... more often than not well after I've started fabrication drawings. I guess this is part of a second question - how do I ensure my increased time is tracked and attributed to those making the changes and not just pinned on my drafting time. I'm just seeing a lot of time being lost at the modeling stage where components are chopped, changed or unexpected components are being added and tracking this "modeling time" needs to be in an easily communicated manner.

Example

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back