Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Timehistory post processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmonkey

Automotive
May 6, 2005
FR
hi all ansys fan,

my problem:
i have solved cantilever(console) made of composite material(3layers) - tensioned, but i dont know how to find out the stress for the 2nd layer(middles layers). i dont know how to find out the total stress for whole element.
i can get stress only from the top and botton layer, but not the layers between?
i use element solid46
or any other help?
thanks.

|
|MatrixMatrixMatrix-->
|FiberFiberFiberFib-->
|MatrixMatrixMatrix--> press(with "-" sign)
|FiberFiberFiberFib-->
|MatrixMatrixMatrix-->
|

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

go to preprocesor where you select the element type and for the solid 46 there is an option which allows the storage of data for all layers. put tat to on.
in postproc when you go to optios for output you can spceify the layer you want to be displayed and it will show the stress contours for that layer only
harry

Thank you harry

this was the first step, and it helps, another problem is to display the stress-strain graph for all the layer like a composit.
all i can do now is to choose the element and than the node.and i get the E of the layer what is nearest the node(top or botton).

now i got 2 lines in a graph,for the middle layer and for top(or botton) layer. but now i need the result for the composite. i can calculate the result by using the volume fraction. i mean i can get the E of the composit from these 2 lines (E-fiber and E-matrix). but i want it from ANSYS

closer look
i got composite
it has 14 layers of fiber + 14 layers of matrix,
i got E and poissons constants, i got Volume fractions.
i have alrady done the solution(macro), and i can not find out the TOTAL result for the composite,
i need the E and poisson for the whole composite in ANSYS, i have already calculate by the pen :eek:) and measure it by "tensile test maschine"

and i have simplified it in my model, i use only 3 layers.

matrix Em--->
fiber Ef ---> I need the E composite(all layers together)
matrix Em--->

i need the material propertis of theses layers together. but i'm lost i got no idea where to find it.

thanks for all help

Vladimir Zachar

Vladimir,

Try the following summation for your total modulus (Etot):

Etot = 1/((1/E1)+(1/E2)+(1/En))

Where E1 is the modulus of layer 1, E2 the modulus of layer 2 etc. I think this is applicable. The total stiffness (k) of a body is found in this manner and I believe the modulus should have the same characteristic.

Cheers,

-- drej --

Drej
The equation you wrote is not the rightone, cause it doesnt envisage height of the layer.

the best solution what i have found yet is the mixure rule for composite material(for 1 layer), but i can use it cause the composite is made only from 2 components.

E=Ef*Vf+Em*Vm

where Vf and Vm are the volume fractions of fiber and matrix.
but im looking for other solution, this ist simple example, but what will happend when i will use it by difficut shapes or with more layers? how will i count it then?

thanx have a nice day

any other solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back