Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Timing Belt Pulleys in larger sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

okeng

Mechanical
Jun 14, 2003
US
I need to get about a 20:1 reduction in a timing belt drive. I've tentatively picked out the Gates HTD belt in 5mm pitch, and am building a rough prototype to test out some concepts for a customer. For the testbed, we are going to use 2 or 3 stages of belt drive so we can use simple, cheap catalog parts. But when we start designing the production version of this thing, we will need to simplify it. What I'd love to find is someone that makes injection-molded plastic pulleys in segments, and up around 12-18" in diameter. I could bolt these onto the side of the spool that we are turning, and not have to clear down to the shaft. There won't be volume enough for this to support its own injection molding (I assume). Anyone have ideas?

Input RPM is 550, Input HP is about 1.0.

One thing I'm considering is just going to a #35 roller chain drive, and then I can incorporate the sprocket into the laser-cut side of the spool, maybe. Since the torque is low, and the diameter huge, I'd only have to have about every 8th tooth or so.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One pass:
Big plain pulley made from plastic or wood, diameter to support the belt teeth at their inner crests.
Embed two isolated proper teeth at 180 degrees from each other.
Cut the teeth from a smaller pulley, or mill from scratch to proper profile.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back