Tiny house

Status
Not open for further replies.

m.c_rash

Student
Jul 9, 2022
NL
Hey guys!

I am a naval architecture/ marine engineering student with a question regarding shore-based architecture.

My parents own a small holiday property and want to extend bedroom capacity with an extra hut in form and size of a small, freestanding summer house. Yet there are no specific plans about anything except the basic idea with following requirements:

-freestanding hut giving room for ~4 beds (2 stack beds are OK)
-size about 3-4 m (not specified yet, but does not need to bee too big, space is only used for sleeping and some baggage storage. Living room, kitchen and bath are in the normal house)
-constructed from wood
-probably insulated, winters can be cold in sweden
-general arrangement: one wall with window and door, one wall with one window, two walls only walls
-simple flat roof, slightly angled

As said, there is nothing specified yet but the idea is born. For me, as a future engineer, it seams an interesting but not too difficult challenge to use the design of this tiny house to take a look into architecture.

Since I study naval architecture I don't know very much about normal architecture although I'm sure I would be familiar with the math. I know little about the architectural design process and would like to be directed in the right direction. I hope you guys could tell me about this process!

Do you have any recommondations on where to start and how to go through the design process of this (till now fictional) tiny house?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First check local zoning.
Second che1ck local building codes.
If you pass the first hurdle, the second check may tell you most of what you want to know.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back