Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tips for Managing the Civil Side of a Nationwide Roll Out Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Civil EV

Civil/Environmental
Nov 29, 2021
US
I work for a very large company that is rolling out locations.
Civil scope can range from none to full site development plans/hydrology study.
A lot of the civil work has been outsourced up to this point and managed by the Architect, but we are looking to move most of the civil inhouse.
Electrical and Structural are typically the only other disciplines involved and their scope is pretty cookie cutter and are almost always handled inhouse.
The project management procedure is pretty well established, but I'm not sure how to manage hundreds of small projects all over the country. The idea is very daunting to me.
Any tips for establishing a work flow/procedure for capturing local requirements and such, and then incorporating all the due diligence into the design?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One way is to do what I did with siting many gas compressor stations and pump stations on pipelines that crossed many states, and in some instances different countries. Most of the designs complied with national codes, however there were always specific requirements for local civil and structural work. Have a locally certified PE review the cookie plans produced in house work for compliance with local building, electric and plumbing codes, structural requirements, snow loads, seismic zone, etc. and zoning restrictions. I would also ask for local help in obtaining building permissions and permits, should those be necessary. Thats about the only way you can do it, unless you plan on obtaining PE registry in every state in which you will build. As you gain knowledge of which codes have been adopted in each region and other various local practices in tying in roads, sewers, water supplies, etc. and what needs a PE stamp and what doesn't, you may take on more and more of the local design work too.

The variations in local civil requirements will be an absolute nightmare. You'll have to treat each one individually. I've seen stormwater management design change from whether you were in the city limits of a municipality or the county requirements. That can change between two neighbors...side by side or across the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back