Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tips on the 100 bhp boiler installation. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rme1997

Mechanical
Oct 12, 2004
US
We are now looking forward for the purchasing of 100bhp fire tube boiler. May I know what are the things should I considered in installation on operational side, safety features and design? What are the procedure for the commissioning and things to be recorded and watch before and after putting the unit on line.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Lots of big questions...

It sounds like you have just ordered the boiler and are now trying to find out what else is there to do...

Can you answer the following:

1- Do you have layout drawings developed for the boiler room/area ?

2- Have you purchased accessories such a boiler feed pumps, DA, blowdown systems ?

3- Have you any electrical drawings ? Any single lines ?

4- Have you considered the services of a professional engineer ?

-MJC

To make your "tall" order as short as possible, contact the local jurisdiction either insurance boiler inspector or state inspector and ask him those questions. This boiler will have to be inspected prior to putting it on line by one of those agencies anyway.

I hit a snag or two on a 150HP boiler on the amount of area required for bringing fresh air into the boiler room. I also found that the water from the RO had such a small amount of ions that it will "dissolve" the iron in carbon steel pipe and we had to switch to stainless.

Make sure your exhaust pipe is high enough to draft correctly, have a way to pull the fire tubes and replace them without to much trouble.

Greenheck has some information that should help size building air vents.

Contact someone qualified to ensure the water you are using is appropriate for boiler applications.

If you are worried about natural draft try using an induced draft fan, but I assume the boiler manufacturer has already considered this.

What type of fuel are you burning?

Thank you all for the informative and worth feedback. I greatly appreciated those information.
FOr the summary:

1. - Do you have layout drawings developed for the boiler room/area ? - Yes, we had an existing boiler room and the 100BHP will replace the 30 yrs old boiler.

2- Have you purchased accessories such a boiler feed pumps, DA, blowdown systems ? - it is already included in the package the additional and dedicated feed pump and other accesories.

3- Have you any electrical drawings ? Any single lines ?- yes base ont he existing diagram that we had.

4- Have you considered the services of a professional engineer ? - We include this in the review of the boiler.

5- What type of fuel are you burning? we are using industrial diesel as a fuel for the boilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back