Tire Footprint vs Inflation Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

msjoey

Materials
Feb 20, 2007
UG
Hi everyone.

I am modeling (or trying to) a truck tire inflated at 300 kPa, carrying a load of 1,000 kg (per wheel), on a rigid plane. The request came from design engineers who want to understand the relationship between contact patch vs vehicle weight vs inflation pressure. I figured I should start with a working model that gives me a footprint of the tire as it is loaded on a rigid plane (smooth "road"). Once this is achieved, I can change the vehicle weight and inflation pressure as design engineers wish to see.

To understand the problem and how Abaqus can be used to get a solution, I recreated the Hankook model in Abaqus Example Problems 3.1.1 and 3.1.2 Tire analyses.

Unlike the Hankook model I don't have enough material data to accurately represent the tire (rubber sections, ply layers, etc) so I modeled a quarter tire, meshed as solid hexas, and gave them the rubber properties from the Hankook model (hyperelastic -- polynomial strain energy, viscoelastic -- prony).

My method:
[ul]
[li]I want to first displace the tire onto the ‘road’ (rigid) to stabilize the model, in Step 1. Maybe an interference of 1 mm will be enough to establish contact.[/li]
[li]In Step 2 I apply 300 kPa to the inner surface of the carcass[/li]
[li]In Step 3 I apply the weight of the vehicle (say 1,000 kg per wheel) to see the tire footprint. I use Concentrated Force applied to RP at the center of the tire, connected to the bead* elements via kinematic couplings.[/li]
[/ul]

*the bead is where the rim "holds" the rubber carcass (just to clarify)

I have one model in Explicit and one in Standard. The Explicit model (with mass scaling) ran but with stress values all over the place, so I killed it. The Standard model converged but the carcass hardly deforms throughout Steps 2 & 3. For sure it's nowhere near real life.

What am I missing or doing wrong in my simulation? If necessary I can share my inp file. The tire is an off the shelf item therefore IP is not an issue.

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

Thanks Rob for your reply. I had to put this project on hold because of more urgent FEA, and now I'm back!

The 1mm displacement is propagated throughout the steps. To clarify I will share my Load + BC set up:

** STEP: Step-1
*Step, name=Step-1, nlgeom=YES
equilibrium
*Static
0.1, 1., 1e-05, 1.
** BOUNDARY CONDITIONS
** Name: road Type: Displacement/Rotation
*Boundary, amplitude=Amp-1
rigid-1.rigid_RP, 1, 1
rigid-1.rigid_RP, 2, 2, 1.
rigid-1.rigid_RP, 3, 3
rigid-1.rigid_RP, 4, 4
rigid-1.rigid_RP, 5, 5
rigid-1.rigid_RP, 6, 6
*End Step
** ----------------------------------------------------------------
** STEP: Step-2
*Step, name=Step-2, nlgeom=YES
apply tire pressure 300 kPa
*Static
0.1, 1., 1e-05, 1.
** BOUNDARY CONDITIONS
** Name: bead Type: Displacement/Rotation
*Boundary, op=NEW
bead, 1, 1
bead, 3, 3
bead, 4, 4
bead, 5, 5
bead, 6, 6
*Boundary, op=NEW, amplitude=Amp-1
rigid-1.rigid_RP, 1, 1
rigid-1.rigid_RP, 2, 2, 1.
rigid-1.rigid_RP, 3, 3
rigid-1.rigid_RP, 4, 4
rigid-1.rigid_RP, 5, 5
rigid-1.rigid_RP, 6, 6
** LOADS
** Name: pressure Type: Pressure
*Dsload, amplitude=Amp-1
pressure, P, 3.
*End Step
** ----------------------------------------------------------------
** STEP: Step-3
*Step, name=Step-3, nlgeom=YES
apply vehicle weight 1000 kgf
*Static
0.1, 1., 1e-05, 1.
** BOUNDARY CONDITIONS
** Name: bead Type: Displacement/Rotation
*Boundary, op=NEW
bead, 1, 1
bead, 2, 2
bead, 3, 3
bead, 4, 4
bead, 5, 5
bead, 6, 6
*Boundary, op=NEW
rigid-1.rigid_RP, 1, 1
rigid-1.rigid_RP, 3, 3
rigid-1.rigid_RP, 4, 4
rigid-1.rigid_RP, 5, 5
rigid-1.rigid_RP, 6, 6
** LOADS
** Name: weight Type: Concentrated force
*Cload, amplitude=Amp-1
rigid-1.rigid_RP, 2, 9810.
*End Step

In this set up the rigid plane (road) is displaced instead of the tire. My first set up comprised moving the tire downwards to contact the road, but as it didn't result in the carcass deformation I expected I swapped the BCs and made the road move up instead. The result is still the same lack of carcass deformation, unfortunately.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back