Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Titanium-6Al-4V - Elevated temperature surface protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

will123

Automotive
Sep 4, 2003
GB
My company is looking at using titanium-6Al-4V for a high temperature application. I appreciate there are better, alternative titanium alloys available, but this is the best available in the neessary timescales. Obviously the reduction in mechanical properties is being designed for. But, the temperature of the application will be in the region where the alloy will suffer oxidation of the surface.

Can anyone suggest a suitable protective coating that can be applied to the surface in order to prevent oxidation?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

pre-oxidation? What temp?
If you are going hot enough to worry about oxidation damage then you have dozens of options. Ti will have extremely low strength at these temperatures.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

What is the application? What are the maximum temperatures that the parts will be exposed to, and for what length of time? A more detailed problem description could go a long way in providing you with an appropriate solution.

I can't guarantee that this will help you, but Nitruvid has a proprietary nitriding process that may fit your application. I don't have any experience with it in a high temperature application, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back