Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

titanium sponge etc 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Maybe he means what's the difference in composition between Titanium powder and Titanium sponge? Surely that depends on the standard each is made to.

If you are worried about composition then sponge will usually be less pure, it will contain some Cl and maybe other stuff.
Powder is usually a better grade of product.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

I am asking about a sponge for the production of a metal alloy.

Does anyone know how the difference (mainly the porosity) affects the final product after sintering?

Thank you.

Sponge isn't really 'sintered'. It's mixed with the alloying elements needed to get to the final desired composition, then pressed into an ingot, and then remelted. P/M titanium products, at least the ones I'm familiar with, are made from prealloyed powder, and are then sintered and hipped, possibly at the same time. Porosity is primarily a function of the sintering and hipping parameters, not so much the powder size and shape, although of course they play a role. And then there's additive manufacturing, using a laser to fuse titanium powder for rapid prototyping. That's yet a different animal.

Can you provide any more context to your question?

Igearhart, thank you very much.

I am looking for ru powder which I would like to alloy with an additional metal. The spec I get from my supplier is for ru sponge. I am trying to figure out the outcome of this on the final product.

Thank you so much.

sponge is always plasma (arc) remelted to make solid alloy. You can't just consolidate it, too much porosity and too many impurities.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back