Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Titen HD screw anchor in concrete soffit (no metal deck)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Givemeamoment

Structural
Dec 19, 2020
US
ESR-2713 says the Titen HD screw anchor can be used in the soffit of concrete over metal deck. But what if there is no metal deck and it's only concrete? Is this allowed? And if it's not allowed, why not? I've contacted their Engineering Technical Support but I'm impatient to wait until the weekend is over. Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

They will reply to you and are the best people to do so. Be patient.

In the meantime, checking the document, yes you can use them but how would that be different than any ordinary screw anchor? ESR-2713 Table 3 values would be valid, but not the rest of the tables.

As is usually the case with anchors, don't expect results/resistances to change dramatically. Your base material affects the pullout/breakout/splitting resistances of concrete. The metal deck should help but not doing much to prevent these failures. Concrete strength + thickness would govern.

Use HILTI PROFIS software (free-web based) and use screw anchors to determine size. You can specify the base material as plain concrete. If IBC with earthquakes, make sure you activate the seismic option.In the end, after design go to your drawing and specify "Titan or Similar..." in the usual manner. Anchor designer software from Simpson strong-tie should do the same with Titen HD(but I'm unfamiliar).

Finally, I don't like screw anchors and I have a clear preference for resin anchors in almost all cases - if they're paying for it.

kostast88, thank you for clarifying I could use Table 3, that's what I was using. This isn't a seismic application but there is some lateral load due to wind, but not that much. I know Titen HD anchors are for interior applications only and this area is somewhat enclosed off but is open to an outdoor seating area facing a pool. I've typically seen Hilti KB-TZ anchors used for soffit anchorage like OSHPD projects out in California, but this project is in Nevada and for some reason the contractor likes using Titen HDs so I said I'll check. If the Titan HDs don't work out, I might switch out to using KB-TZs instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back